The Winter Era
During the era of the Winter family, the Hotel Thermia Palace, the first luxury hotel in Slovakia, and its Irma Balneotherapy House (1912) were developed on the Spa Island, and later also the health spa Hotel Pro Patria (1916). The Hotel Excelsior (today’s Hotel Jalta) was opened in the town centre in 1930. The cornerstone for the Balneological Museum was also laid during this period, and young and talented doctors were invited to Piešťany, who introduced innovative methods of treatment, thereby contributing to the excellent international reputation of the health spa. The bronze statue of a man breaking his crutch became the icon of the health resort, a statue which can still be admired today at the Colonnade Bridge.
The Winters also brought pizazz and cultural life to the small health resort. The first golf course in Slovakia and the legendary Eva swimming pool were built directly on the Spa Island and Piešťany became the centre of major golf tournaments, international tennis competitions and chess championships, as well as concerts, exhibitions, dance competitions and motor racing.